Grove is a system designed to facilitate distributed rendering of Blender (www.blender3d.org) .blend files.
The system will consist of the following modules:
- A Web-based user/job/queue/file manager (PHP)
- A server communication API (HTTP) (Presentation layer TBD)
- A schema for user and job information (MySQL)
- Client-side applications responsible for communicating with the job manager and running blender. (Languages and Operating Systems TBD
- The server communication API will be well-documented allowing for contributers to develop alternate clients)
- Client-side python script(s) used to control Blender via it's established API
The primary goal of the system's development will be to establish a freely available, open and public distributed render farm (hosting arrangements TBD). Secondarily, the system will be available for use as a private render farm (or as an alternate public farm).
While Blender continues to establish itself as a full-featured, open-source 3D application, very few distributed render farm solutions for Blender exist. In the spirit of open source and community-based collaboration, Grove will enable 3D artists to significantly reduce the time required to produce complex renderings of their work - a capability traditionally available only to those with the financial means to acquire vast amounts of hardware.
Grove will implement a number of mechanisms to mitigate abuse of the public farm, including, but not limited to queue prioritization, a 'work credit' system and a greylisting/blacklisting system. The implementation details of these features are still under development.